Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"People think they know me, but they don't. Not really. Actually, I am one of the loneliest people on this earth. I cry sometimes becaue it hurts. it does. To be honest, I guess you could say that it hurts to be me." - Michael Jackson

I think it's quite sad actually. MJ's parents are now fighting to gain control of his assets barely after his death (news) and funeral arrangements have not been even made because as MJ's father Joe Jackson said "We don't have a timeframe for that because I want to see how this autopsy is coming out," after a family meeting at his home in suburban Los Angeles."

He had the time to attend the BET awards and looked perfectly fine (news). He even took the opportunity to promote his new record label near the end of the interview outside the show.


Joe Jackson at BET awards

And for MJ's mom, she wants both the money and the kids. Just moments after his death, one of the family members called MJ's ex nanny and asked her where he kept his money (news).

With parents like that, I can understand now why MJ became what he was today, a little strange, eccentric and weird but extremely talented music artist..Anybody with such a sad childhood, being forced to perform to earn money for their parents when they were growing up just because they were talented would end up being misguided and lost as adults.. I really wonder, do these people even feel anything that their son is dead?? If their son was a penniless beggar with no money to his name, would they still be fighting to gain custody of his children? Would they even want to take care of the children? I feel sad when i read news about MJ's children crying when they found out their dad had passed away and they couldnt believe he was no longer around. I think for all his eccentricities, MJ was a good dad and extremely protective of his children. Which is so much more than his own dad was.

Seriously, I am not (and never was) a huge fan of MJ but i do like his songs (Heal the world, You are not alone, We are the world) and he was a top music peformer and entertainer. When we were young, I remember my brother loved MJ and bought many of his CDs like Thriller and Bad. We grew up watching MTVs during the afternoons after school and I remember watching MJ's MTVs - Black or White, Thriller, Remember the Time etc and being fascinated by them.

He was so popular when we were in our primary school days.. however along the way, the news that came out about MJ being charged for child molestation and seeing his face change so much after all the plastic surgery changed my image of him. Then there wasnt much news about him, his latest album Invincible didnt do well and I dont even remember any song from the album. Only the occasional news about MJ bringing out his children (with veils covering their faces) and about how he had a huge debt with all the court cases cuz people were suing him for money etc..Only now when the sudden news about his death made MJ famous again and so many celebrities are starting to gush how about great he was and how they were an inspiration to them.

Why do humans only start to treasure things that they have only when they have lost them? Why does it take a tragedy for people to remember good things about other people? It is a painful reminder of how we humans really are - flawed. But at the same time, when I hear inspiring and touching stories of other people faced with trials and challenges in their lives , I am reminded of the amazing capacity of people to love and some who do so unconditionally. I just hope that somewhere, somehow, MJ is now with God and is happy where he is now.

No comments: