Thursday, June 22, 2017

Arrival of our little one! Mount Alvernia review


Cant believe that I'm now the mother of a very cute little baby! >o<

Little baby Chloe arrived on 21 May 2017 (Sunday), a few days earlier than my due date! The whole delivery experience was rather surreal, everything happened so fast lol.

I had my gynae visit with Dr Goh on Friday and to my surprise, she told me that i was already 3cm dilated! She asked me to get prepared as my water bag could burst anytime and i was like oh my gawd, is this really happening lol. She told me she could help to burst my water bag or wait and see so we decided to let things naturally come so we waited.

I met up with Liz and Ros for lunch after that and the next day, I met Syn Min at the cafe nearby my place at Thomson on Sat night.  At night after dinner I started to feel some pain like period cramps coming and i was sure my contractions were starting so i asked Kelvin if we should go to the hosp but he said it could be a false alarm and told me to try to sleep first and if i was still feeling pain after midnight, then we would head to Mt Alvernia :/ i was like har..really lol..

I tossed and turned and tried to sleep but the pain got worse. By 1am plus, i couldnt take it anymore and we headed to Mount Alvernia. We went to the delivery ward and the nurses brought us to one of the delivery rooms. The nurses asked me to change into the dressing gown and to try to get some sleep as I was still only 3 to 4 cm dilated. They told me my gyane would come in the morning to check if i was further dilated.



Quickly took a selfie in the delivery room after changing into the dressing gown


There was a tv in the delivery room and it was showing the disney movie Enchanted but i wasnt really paying attention cuz of the pain.

After a while, the only thing in my mind was ..give me the freaking epidural!!~ But the nurses said it would take some time for the anesthetist to come and in the meantime gave me some laughing gas to help ease the pain. 

Frankly the laughing gas was useless lor..i kept using it and still could feel the pain getting worse lol. I tried to sleep but it was kinda hard to do that cuz of the beeping of all the machines that were hooked up to me to monitor my contractions. The room was also freezing and Kelvin was so cold even though he brought his adidas jacket haha.

The nurses told me to try to get some sleep and my gyane would be there in the morning to check on me. Of course, being me, i couldnt sleep at all and i think Kelvin couldnt sleep as well as the machines hooked up to me kept beeping :/

Finally the anesthetist came around 3-4am and it was instant relief when she gave me the injection! i was kinda worried that i would jerk from the pain as my friends warned me about not moving but the anesthetist was very professional and it was practically painless. After that, nothing could faze me haha. They should have just given it to me from the start!

My gynae came in the morning around 7am to check on me and it was good seeing Dr Goh. She broke my waterbag and told me that i would deliver in about 4-5 hours and said there was still time for me to quickly take some milo and crackers if i was hungry. After that, i would be very nauseous so i ate a couple of crackers and had some hot milo while watching the tv lol.

Finally after a few hours, the nurse came in and started prepping me by asking to push when the contractions came. It was really quite exhausting as you are supposed to take a deep breath and slowly exhale out from your mouth (cant breathe out from nose) when the contraction came and my face was practically turning red from holding my breath >.< Finally after a few pushes, the nurses told me that the baby's head was coming out soon and asked me to stop pushing and they would ask my gynae to come in soon. Dr Goh came in while later and with a final big push, baby Chloe was born ^^ 

When they delivered her and placed her on my tummy immediately, i was simply fascinated that she came out from me. The feeling was indescribable ^o^


Happy first time parents! Baby Chloe was crying and i realized we cant even see her full face in the pic haha #photofail

After a couple of hours (with some drama involved with a rude nurse which spoiled our mood a little) , i was finally wheeled into the maternity ward where i could rest. I was relieved by then as I almost comatose by then as i didnt have any sleep for more than 24 hrs and was exhausted from all the action.

I have to say the room was very comfortable and i really liked it. The nurses there were also wonderful, super friendly and caring. They would come in every few hours to check on me and to give me my pain medication, accompany me to the toilet etc


My room!  I chose the single bed ward (charges as below), initally i thought whether i should choose the St Michael room but decided to just choose the normal single room which was a good decision! I saw the St Michael room and it wasnt even as cosy as the room i stayed at ;))

NORMAL DELIVERY WITH EPIDURAL (2 DAYS) 
Maximum Medisave Claimable (Delivery expenses): $1,650 
Additional Medisave Claimable (Pre-natal medical expenses): $900 

Family Suite: $4,588.16 
Super Deluxe: $4,245.76 
Single – St Michael: $3,600.55 
Single: $3,491.41 
2-Bedded: $2,421.41


The room was very cosy and spacious,there is a hidden corner on the left where the toilet is. I also loved the fact that there was greenery right outside my windows



toilet was very clean and well maintained


There was a comfortable couch for the spouse to sleep on so this was Kelvin's bed for the next couple of nights lol. You can see the spread of food for him on the table


Food selection during my hospital stay

They served some club sandwiches for tea break (which i found pretty yummy!) and western food for lunch.

Rest of the confinement meals that were served during my stay were pretty good too, even though there were a couple of meals that tasted ok only. In fact, i tasted my hubby's food and the companion's meals were sometimes more tasty than the confinement meals i had haha. I liked it that we could choose what we wanted to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea break was also good!






The stay felt very short and when it was time to be discharged, i was wishing i could stay an extra night haha. but of course, its super ex so no way.

Before we left, we went to the chapel where Chloe was blessed which was really a nice touch as we are christians and i think only Mt Alvernia has this service. Overall, the delivery process and my experience at Mount Alvernia was very good (except for the terrible nurse staff at the delivery ward whom i gave feedback to her supervisor on). I'm really happy i chose Mt Alvernia and would choose to come here again (if for any reason i decide to deliver again! lol).

My total bill for the stay came up to $9k+ for the 2 nights (including my gynae delivery fees) and we paid $7k+ after paying the balance by medisave.

No comments: