Monday, August 20, 2012

SQ flight to switzerland

Finally booked the tix to visit my sis!!

Will be going with my mum end Nov to visit my sis in swiss when she is due.  Actually i wanted to take Qantas because i heard their new A380 plans come with some self serve bar where u can go to there and help yourself to drinks/snacks. The price was about SGD 1,455 with stopover in London before flying to Geneva.

But in the end, I found out SQ had promo for SGD 1,448 and i have never taken SQ before to Europe(in fact i think i only took SQ once before and that was some short 2 hr flight to BKK so it didnt count lol). Soo i thought, what the heck. I'll just treat myself and decided to book SQ instead..Apparently most of the aircrafts they use are A380-800s for long haul flight which i think should be nice?!



The flagship of Singapore Airlines, the Airbus A380-800 is the largest airliner in the world, far bigger than the Boeing 747 that held the title for more than 30 years. The Airbus A380-800 began a new era in commercial aviation when regular passenger service started between Singapore and Sydney on October 25, 2007. 

Suite (First) Class features enclosed individual suites with a guest seat, and possibly the widest bed in the sky. Business Class also has a lie-flat bed, although the design forces the passenger to sleep on the diagonal. 


All passengers have AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) with very large LCD screens. AC power ports are also installed at every seat. 


Due to the curvature of the upper deck, there are reportedly extra storage bins next to the fuselage, giving window seat passengers additional room for their belongings. Also be aware that there are no overhead bins above the center Business Class seats. The design and layout of the cabin means that there is significantly less traffic on the right aisle. 



Cabin# SeatsPitchWidth
Suite (First) Class12unknown35.0"
- Notes: Privacy suites with full-flat bed
Business Class6051.0"30.0"
Economy Class39932.0"19.0"

I wanted to choose upper deck seats when i bought the tix online through the SQ website but turned out that they are phasing out the older A 380s with this config so all the flights from SIN to Zurich only have economy seats on main deck. Oh well, i hope i get my preferred seat on 48D though! So what's so special about seat?

Well I found out online its a special seat to book apparently because it doesnt have a seat blocking in front of it as there is a escape hatch for the staff dorm below.



Review from Tripadvisor forum (More info about seat 48D)

Re: Singapore Airlines A380
I just wanted to once and for all clarify this question, as I had a very hard time finding the answer before I flew!
I recently flew from London to Singapore on the Singapore Airlines A380, in economy, in seat 48D. This seat is FANTASTIC, there is no seat in front of it (where 47D would usually be) due to an emergency exit hatch in the floor. It DOES have a TV screen and table (they are in the armrest) and you can use the seatback pocket on seat 46D (2 ahead) if you really need stuff to hand. You can also stow hand luggage under this seat. This was a great seat to fly in, I had even more legroom than in an emergency exit row, and no-one congregated in the empty space as I feared. The only things to be aware of are:
- Obviously you don't have a footrest in this seat (who cares).
- You cannot leave any bags etc on the ground at your feet as it would block the exit hatch.
-The Armrest on the aisle is fixed to allow the table and TV screen to fit.
Choose this seat!

I requested for it when i was choosing the seat online for my return (fyi its not free, u have to pay USD$50 for it) but the reservation doesnt seem to reflect it somehow so the customer service said they will get back to me shortly.

[Update: Just checked my reservation details online and yes i got my seat at 48D. I hope its worth it lol]

So yes i cant wait!!! At least i got something to look forward to with all the crap that's happening at work..


No comments: